Published!!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I have known I wanted to be a writer since I was in the third grade. I didn't know the other plans for my life, but writing I was sure of.  I wrote short stories all the time, I went to writing workshops and even submitted a "book" to be published in fourth grade.  As I got older I got into newspaper staff and eventually majored in journalism with a minor in creative writing.  I can't say that I have been the most loyal friend to writing.  There have been many months and years that I didn't write anything at all.  (Not so easy to be a writer when you don't write.)

Recently I became a contributor for Murfreesboro Magazine and this month I got my first article published!  I had an internship in college with the Daily News Journal and aside from that this is the first time I have actually used my degree for what it was intended. The cool thing is that it was about decorating so I was able to incorporate a lot of the things I have learned through event planning and use both my skills!

My article was about decorating for Halloween and Fall and I was able to put together a few sample decorations for the photos that would be published in the article.  Below are some of the things I came up with:

Mantle, I added a "Trick or Treat" banner and some cobwebs behind all this but didn't get a photo...

Fall tablescape


I love apothecary jars and was happy to use them!

Silhouettes printed out and put in a black frame and candy!!

Outdoor set up
More outdoor set up.  I love the giant gourd but think he might be inappropriate??

Luckily Bill and Karen (Steve's parents) let me use their house because I didn't think our house was much suited for the modeling job.  (Right now think of my house as the mom who desperately needs to take a three minute shower but hasn't had time and their house as the prim and polished woman that never looks disheveled.)

I hope you enjoy!  If you want to read my article please pick up a copy of Murfreesboro Magazine where you can see the professional pics and read.

No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground